Cybersecurity Training FAQ
Who should I contact with questions or to learn more about cybersecurity?
The University of Illinois has a dedicated cybersecurity training and awareness team as part of Technology Services. Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or feedback about security training.
Why is cybersecurity important?
Cybersecurity affects you, whether you use a computer, a tablet, or a smartphone (or all) in your work or personal life. Cybersecurity is about keeping your technology safe, including networks, data, programs, and devices. Cybersecurity helps to protect your data and your devices, like a lock on the front door protects your home.
Am I required to take cybersecurity training? Who is required to take cybersecurity training?
- University of Illinois System: Required for System Office employees (excluding Extra Help employees).
- University of Illinois Springfield and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign: As of Fall 2021, cybersecurity training is required for all faculty and staff (excluding Extra Help employees and certain other employee classifications).
- Students are not required to take cybersecurity training.
Why is cybersecurity training required?
It is required by university policy. See the Information Security Policy at http://cybersecurity.uillinois.edu/policy, specifically Information Security Standard IT16, for more information. The Information Security Policy training requirement is also stated in the Campus Administrative Manual (for Urbana-Champaign) at https://cam.illinois.edu/policies/fo-36/ and at https://www.uis.edu/informationtechnologyservices/security-4/information-security-policy/ (for Springfield).
How often do I have to take cybersecurity training?
Required training occurs quarterly (every three months). Each training opportunity will feature a new topic and different training. It should take about 20 minutes to complete, and you’ll have three months to complete it.
I don't use a computer in my university work. How do I take cybersecurity training?
We plan to offer paper-based training sessions starting in Spring 2022. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in these training sessions.
Why is training more than once a year?
Cyber criminals are constantly changing their tactics. Regular cybersecurity training helps you stay safer as cyber threats evolve.
Why do I see this login screen?
This is not the correct log in page. Use the official link https://go.uillinois.edu/securitytraining. to direct you to the campus sign-on where you can authenticate with your University of Illinois credentials.
What is the difference between the My Assignments section and the Additional Training section?
- The training under My Assignments is required training. It includes a due date, and completion rates are tracked for this training. Once you finish the training under My Assignments, it’s marked as complete, and the training module(s) are no longer available.
- The training under Additional Training is optional. You can take (and retake) it as many times as you like. The available training modules will change every month, so check back in the future for other cybersecurity training.
Why don't I see anything in the My Assignments section? After logging in, it says, "You are not currently enrolled in any training assignments."
This may be for one of several reasons:
- You’ve already completed required training. When you complete required training, the training module(s) under My Assignments are marked as done in the training system, and they’re no longer available to you.
- You’re not required to take any training right now. You can always take (and retake) any of the optional training that’s available under Additional Training.
- We have you set up in the training system incorrectly. If you didn’t already take required training, and you expected to take it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why does the training under My Assignments go away when I’m done with it?
The training system has marked your completion, and you don’t have to retake it. If you would like to retake any training, please contact email@example.com.
Why does the training under Additional Training not go away when I’m done with it?
That training is freely available to anyone who logs in to the training system. It is optional, and you can retake it as many times as you’d like. Completion rates for that training are not tracked.
How do I know which training modules I’ve completed?
Log in to https://go.uillinois.edu/securitytraining. In the upper right corner, click your name and then select My Report Card. This shows you all the cybersecurity training you’ve completed.
Will I get an email once I’ve completed the training?
Yes, you will get an email after you have completed required training; however, you will not receive an email if you did any optional training.
What is Proofpoint?
We’ve partnered with Proofpoint (formerly known as Wombat Security) to provide cybersecurity training and awareness to the university community. The Proofpoint Security Awareness platform includes security assessment tools, online cybersecurity training, additional outreach material, and much more.
Can I use the Proofpoint Security Awareness platform in my classroom or other places outside the University of Illinois System?
It can be used in the classroom with University of Illinois students, but not outside the University of Illinois System. Our license with the vendor is limited to faculty, staff, and students for the Springfield, Urbana-Champaign, and System Office campuses. You must have valid University of Illinois credentials to log in to the Proofpoint Security Awareness platform.